Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Rich Heritage

We traveled this past weekend to Harding University in Searcy, AR, for the annual homecoming celebration. It was wonderful to be there with family we only see once a year. Both sets of my grandparents graduated and married out of Harding, so you could say that our family started there. I loved getting to see my grandparents visit with dear ones they've known for more than 60 years, and couldn't help reflect on the wonderful heritage I have. When I went to Harding to do my Master's work in 1997 I became the third generation Harding student for both sides of my family. I would love it if our girls chose to study there, too. We went to the Homecoming football game and I got to see people I have known since I started teaching in Austin in 1991! I am grateful for the friendship and family ties, and for the role Harding has played in them.

Here we are as a family of four on a Harding swing. Not Christmas card worthy, but the best we could get with two tired children!

Here are four generations sitting on a swing like the one where my grandparents courted 67 years ago!


The weather couldn't have been more beautiful. It was a perfect fall day to get a sweet picture of Laura and Lindy.



Mamama and Lindy after chapel Friday morning.




This is the archway into the campus that has stood in place for many decades.





4 comments:

Granddolls' MiMi said...

God is so Awesome! Life is so Good! So much JOY!!

Cindy said...

That's neat that you have such a family history like that! I'm jealous! ;) Looking forward to seeing you soon!

April said...

I love the picture of Laura holding Lindy! I had not noticed Lindy's dimple before...too cute! :) I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Searcy as well as the time spent with loved ones. Neat that you got a picture of all 4 generations.

April said...

I can't believe I didn't get to see you this weekend!!! I sent my greetings to you via Kevin! :) Hope Laura gets better soon.